Continuous Improvement Strips
Everyone involved in generating and implementing ideas. 61.8 ideas per employee per annum.
Note: 80% of cost or benefits improvement will come from frontline staff if the appropriate systems to support continuous improvement are in place.
The purpose of Continuous Improvement Strips is to provide a mechanism for the identification and implementation of ideas to remove waste from the process.
The strips (usually a physical piece of paper) provide a common method, usable at all levels to manage the generation of ideas and the control of their evaluation and implementation.
- Transparency and visual management of ideas
- Generate year on year performance improvement across the organisation
- Engagement of people in improvement process
Lean Leadership with CI Strips
The role of leaders is to ensure the following:
- Team members are being challenged to generate ideas
- Team members are given the latitude and time to experiment with ideas and their implementation in the workplace following the PDCA methodology. Change management procedures adhered to.
- Support the teams in developing solutions and embedding new practices
- Manage across shift agreement
- Developing new standards to ensure waste remains excluded from the process and variation is controlled
- Coach teams in 7 Wastes and their impact on the business
- The benefits are captured and validated and reported in a recognised system
CI Strips are held in the team’s Information Centre along with their performance metrics and Hoshin plans. The target of 61.8 ideas per annum per employee is an achievable figure but does sound like a big stretch for most organisations when you consider that the average across industries is 0.2 per annum.
These Operational Excellence pages talk about fundamental lean principles and associated tools. Understanding how to apply these principles and tools to the individual circumstance of discrete organisations is where expertise and experience is paramount. The GENEO team has many decades of experience in doing exactly this.