The purpose of 3C Strips is to provide:
- A framework for the organisation to escalate problems quickly to the appropriate owner
- To visualise the volume of problems and the capability to control them at the different levels of the business
- A system for rapid problem solving
- A common language for problem solving
- A visual process for leaders to understand and coach team members in first defence problem solving
- Early prioritisation of problems and the allocation of resource
- Understanding of organisation capability to problem solve
- Learning organisation
- Engagement and inclusivity
3C Strips provide a first line of defence- a system for rapid problem solving at all levels of the business. The strip empowers the team to solve the problem following the simple methodology of Concern, Containment, Countermeasure.
3C Strips are used when the direct cause is evident and does not warrant the need of an A3 problem solving sheet. The most important aspect of this approach is to build confidence in the teams that they are capable of problem solving with some support.
Lean Leadership with 3C Strips
The role of leaders is to ensure the following:
- Team members are developing their problem skills with the 3C methodology
- Driving the resolution of problems by the team is constantly being challenged to stretch capability
- Strips are data driven and speak with data
- Containment / Countermeasure process is followed diligently
- Integration of solutions built into standards
- Recognise good work in the team
- Escalate when necessary and engage other functions
- Challenge timelines being committed to by the team
These Operational Excellence pages talk about fundamental lean principles and associated tools. Understanding how to apply these principles and tools to the individual circumstance of discrete organisations is where expertise and experience is paramount. The GENEO team has many decades of experience in doing exactly this.